- [For JEMS members] New process to request APC discount. Members are no longer requested to submit institution code to request APC discount during manuscript submission. Please see below 'Information for Authors' section for further information.
- Updated Aims & Scope: to enhance the quality of Genes and Environment and its contents, the Journal has updated and revised its Aims and Scope.
Genoprotective potential of Macaranga species phytochemical compounds on HT-29 human colorectal adenocarcinoma cell line
Ee Ling Siew, Lishantini Pearanpan, Zhafri Zamkhuri, Fariza Juliana Nordin, Theng Choon Ooi, Kok Meng Chan, Aisyah Salihah Kamarozaman, Norizan Ahmat & Nor Fadilah Rajab
The species of genus Macaranga are widely found in Malaysian secondary forests and has been used as an alternative for treating varieties of illness. Studies have shown that the medicinal properties of this genus contain anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-cancer effects. This study aimed to determine the cytotoxicity of six isolated phytochemicals from Macaranga heynei (M. heynei), Macaranga lowii and Shorea leprosula on HT-29 human colorectal adenocarcinoma cell lines.
Read this article: Volume 45, Article number: 28 (2023)
Kazuki Izawa, Masataka Tsuda, Takayoshi Suzuki, Masamitsu Honma & Kei-ichi Sugiyama
Authors investigated the use of a next-generation sequencing technique called paired-end and complementary consensus sequencing (PECC-Seq) for detecting in vivo mutagenicity in rat liver samples. This approach offers a labor- and time-efficient alternative to conventional methods, potentially advancing regulatory science for substance safety assessment.
Article collections and Special Issues
- Lessons Learned from Japanese Association for Cancer Prevention and Future Opportunities
- Current topics in China for Environmental Mutagen Research
- G&E Best Paper Award collection
- Special Issue in memory of Takashi Sugimura
- Asian Conference on Environmental Mutagens (ACEM2019)
- Article collection: Meeting Reports: collection of various meeting reports published in G&E
- Article collection: Genotoxicity Tests
- JEMS Open Symposia 2017&2018: “Challenges of Young Scientists”
- 10th Anniversary Special Issue
- JEMS Open Symposium 2015: “Life Style and Cancer”
- Asian Conference on Environmental Mutagens (ACEM2014)
About the Editor
Masami Yamada studied bacterial genetics and got a PhD degree from Osaka University. Since 1990, using genetic engineering techniques, she has constructed many strains from standard tester strains for the Ames test at the National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo. Such strains are useful for research fields on environmental mutagens.
Strain requests come to her every year from domestic, Asia, Europe, North America, South America, and other countries. Currently, she teaches Biology and Genetic Engineering at National Defense Academy of Japan.
Low-dose radiation from A-bombs elongated lifespan and reduced cancer mortality relative to un-irradiated individuals
Aims and scope
Genes and Environment is an open-access, peer-reviewed journal that aims to accelerate communications among global scientists working in the fields of genes and environment. The journal welcomes papers dealing with those topics that are relevant to the environment, such as mutagenesis and carcinogenesis, genomics and epigenetics, molecular epidemiology and genetic toxicology, and regulatory sciences.
The mission of the Japanese Environmental Mutagen and Genome Society (JEMS) is to discover how environmental mutagens affect all organisms, and to promote and apply this knowledge to protect human health and our environment. JEMS was founded in 1972, and since then the society has hosted annual conferences and open symposia on timely topics. The society is a member of the Asian Association of the Environmental Mutagen Societies and the International Association of Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Societies.
Acknowledgement and information
-Publication of Genes and Environment is partly supported by the Japan Society of Promotion of Science Grant-in-Aid for Publication of Scientific Research Results, aka KAKENHI. (Grant Number 17HP2002).
-Genes and Environment archive of papers published before 2015 are available at: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/browse/jemsge
Genes and Environment is an official journal of The Japanese Environmental Mutagen and Genome Society (JEMS).
2022 Citation Impact
1.7 - 2-year Impact Factor
1.9 - 5-year Impact Factor
0.563 - SNIP (Source Normalized Impact per Paper)
0.537 - SJR (SCImago Journal Rank)
8 days submission to first editorial decision for all manuscripts (Median)
94 days submission to accept (Median)
578 Altmetric mentions